Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Fall 2013 Blog Entry #2


One of the best, and my favorite, artworks that I have ever done at IFTA during the summer about 7 years ago. This is a painting with a portion of the famous 1884 French painting by Georges-Pierre Seurat, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. It is from a magazine page for my classwork assignment at painting class. I have struggled hard to get this painting as accurate as the original painting, regarding the details and the amount of space. It must be a wonderful experience for me to demonstrate my painting skills at summer school.
I was given a large canvas by my painting teacher to work on the painting that will resemble the magazine part that I have selected, using some duct tape to confirm my choice. Next, I received a box of acrylic paint tubes for any possible colors that I might need for the Seurat painting. By using any kind of paintbrush, I carefully brush the details and frequently wash them off with water for a new paint color. The most challenging part of my own painting is probably the umbrella, due to the difficulty of trying to get the pole-stick object correspond with the big, black umbrella that was supposed to be placed over the trees as seen in the original painting. I used a lot of black and white colors to create some shadowy details. My favorite part is the optical perspective, specifically a three-dimensional view of the lake that looked like it was seen faraway in real life. It took me about a few days to get this painting done before I leave painting class towards the end of my summer school year at IFTA in Robinson Secondary School. This painting was soon brought to the display area with the other paintings and art projects for students to see along the hallway near the cafeteria.
This painting is in the living room of my family's house, which should really surprise the guests during the parties. My mom is very happy with how excellent I am with my art skills as a painter. I used to love painting when I was little, but not this kind of painting that requires complex techniques to make a more realistic painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment