Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fall 2013 Blog Entry #6


Last night, I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 at the AMC theater inside the Tysons Corner mall. I must say how easily clever it was to come up with the concept that has these "foodimals" (created by Flint Lockwood's food-making FLDSMDFR invention) roaming all over Swallow Falls after the 1st film from 4 years ago. I thought the food names were very creative. The Shrimpanzees, the Cheespider, Tacodile Supreme, Fruit Cockatiels, Hippotatomus, Bananostrich, Watermelophant, Peanut Butter & Jellyfishes, Mosquitoasts, Buffaloaves, Flamangoes, Apple Piethon, Wildebeets, etc., you name it! It's almost as though they could be done by children for their art school projects. If I were me, I would come up with my own Foodimal! For example, I think it should be a "Carrotbou" (a caribou made out of carrots) or the "Grizzly Pear" (a huge bear made of pears, with the stalks as its claws). While I still think the 1st Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is more meaningful than the 2nd, I thought this would be like an inspiration to allow kids into making any kind of animal out of fruits, vegetables, or other types of food for their art classes. Although I am actually taking an art class that only uses computers, this might be an excellent opportunity to come up with my own ideas of food-animal names and design. I should probably thank author Judi Barrett and illustrator Ron Barrett, whose 1978 book was loosely-adapted into two Cloudy films, for pushing the animators at Sony Pictures Animation into coming up with this imaginative concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment